1) Life is not the way it is supposed to be. It is the way it is. The way you cope with it makes the difference.
2) A mutual exhibition of respect, patience, and a sense of humor will help everyone.
3) Please take care of yourself. You need to be eating right, exercising, sleeping as well as possible, and keeping up with your own medical issues.
4) Proper nutrition is vital for everyone. Have healthy snacks such as nuts, peanut butter, hummus, and cheese available.
5) If any household responsibilities are beyond your abilities, ask for help…paid or unpaid. Protect yourself so that you can be a good caregiver.
6) Knowledge is power! Understanding your patient’s diagnosis will enable both of you to know what to expect and signs to watch for.